Know your facts:
- Triathalon has been a sport at Special Olympics World Games since 2011
- Unified Sports? Yes
- Estimated number of athletes participating: 60 athletes + 14 Unified Partners
Swimming, cycling, and running are the three disciplines of a triathlon. Triathletes compete for the fastest overall time, with the time for transitions between disciplines also counting. Fast changing is therefore required. Endurance, strength, and speed are important for this multi-sport race. The triathletes must train specifically for each of the three disciplines.
We have 3 competitions:
- Sprint (750m swimming, 20km cycling, 5km running)
- Unified Sprint (750m swimming, 20km cycling, 5km running)
- Super Sprint (350m swimming 350m, 10km cycling, 2,5km running)
By the way:
Why does a triathlon start with swimming? For safety reasons! During the swim, athletes can't take a breather like they can during cycling or running.