Know your facts:
- Basketball has been a sport at Special Olympics World Games since 1968
- Unified Sports? Yes
- Estimated number of athletes participating: 387 athletes + 123 Unified partners
Basketball is one of the most popular sports in Special Olympics Unified Sports.
Special Olympics feature:
Three athletes* and two Unified partners play together on the court. The baskets are hung at a height of 3.05 meters according to FIBA rules. The playing time in the final competitions is four quarters with 6 minutes playing time each.
We have four disciplines:
- Team competition - Women
- Team competition - Men/Mixed
- Unified Sports Team Competition - Women
- Unified Sports Team Competition - Men/Mixed
By the way:
In the beginning, basketball was played with a soccer and a basket used to collect peaches. The referees had to take the ball out of the baskets every time the players scored.